florinda3rs

florinda3rs

Landline
Rainbow Rowell
Fic: Why Fanfiction is Taking Over the World
Apples and Oranges: My Brother and Me, Lost and Found - Marie Brenner I just couldn't warm to this book. As far as memoirs go, it really didn't work for me, and I found that frustrating. I thought that the best parts of the book were those that involved Marie Brenner's reporting skills, such as relating the complicated histories of preceding generations of her family and discussions of apple farming. I felt that she was too close to her own story in trying to sort out her always-prickly relationship with her dying brother Carl, and I didn't really feel that I gained much insight into either of them as people. Brenner does well at relating what happened, and though she's trying to get to the why, I didn't really get as much of a sense of that as I wanted to, as a reader. For the most part, the book didn't resonate emotionally for me, and that's usually a quality I look for in a memoir. Having said that, though, I should note that I did hang in for the whole thing, and it did eventually all click for me in the last seventy-five pages or so.

As you can see, I'm having some trouble writing objectively about this one - but I suppose that if I found it frustrating enough to want more from it, it did connect with me, just not necessarily as I would have wanted it to.