florinda3rs

florinda3rs

Landline
Rainbow Rowell
Fic: Why Fanfiction is Taking Over the World
Gods Behaving Badly: A Novel - Tim Butcher,  Xiaolu Guo,  Joanne Harris,  Kathy Lette,  Deborah Moggach,  Marie Phillips,  Subhadra Belbase,  Irvine Welsh At the time I read it, Gods Behaving Badly was the most fun I'd had with a book in quite a while.

The Greek gods are still alive, but not entirely well, after several centuries of exile in a decaying London town house. Their powers have weakened, their father and leader Zeus hasn't been seen in decades, and the gods and goddesses are getting by doing what they can. Fortunately, they really don't need to spend money on food, since they don't eat, but their communal-living arrangement isn't exactly harmonious - behind-the-back plotting and revenge are what keep them going.

It wouldn't be fair to call the characters in Gods Behaving Badly one-dimensional, but in keeping with mythological tradition, each has his or her main area of responsibility and isn't really all that interested in anything else, other than one-upping each other. They interact with mortals when they have to - or when they want to cause trouble for each other, which is what sets the plot in motion here.

Annoyance with Apollo causes Aphrodite to enlist her son Eros' help in a plot to make Apollo fall into unrequited love with the first mortal woman he sees - and who, not long after he sees her, becomes the family's house cleaner. The fact that Alice is not permitted to talk about her job strains her relationship with her would-be boyfriend, Neil, who tries to find out about it anyway. Much drama ensues, including domestic warfare, rejection, a trip to the underworld, and the disappearance of the sun - and yet, it's all very funny drama.

I'm a little weak on my Greek mythology, but Marie Phillips seems to have a good grasp of it, and she makes clever use of it in a very modern setting. The writing is sharp and witty, and the mortal characters in particular are quite likable. Gods Behaving Badly was a quick and engaging read, and I'll be interested in seeing what Phillips does in her next novel.