florinda3rs

florinda3rs

Landline
Rainbow Rowell
Fic: Why Fanfiction is Taking Over the World
Stiltsville: A Novel - Susanna Daniel When Frances Ellerby makes her first visit to Miami, Florida in the summer of 1969, she expects to spend the weekend seeing a little of the city and attending the wedding of a college friend, returning to her life in Atlanta after it’'s all over. Weddings have a way of changing people’s' lives, though. Frances meets her own future husband that weekend, and discovers the place where she'’ll spend the next twenty-five years of her life.

Susanna Daniel’'s first novel is the story of a marriage and a family, growing and changing along with the city around them. Miami began to become the city it is today during the 1970s and 1980s, shifting direction when it was ravaged by Hurricane Andrew in August 1992, but never going back to what it was. “What it was” is symbolized by Stiltsville, a collection of houses built on pilings about five miles offshore in Biscayne Bay, reachable only by boat. Frances meets her husband at one of those houses; his family has owned it for years, and it soon becomes a constant in her life, as well as that of her daughter and the couple’s friends. (Stiltsville is a real place - what’s left of it, anyway.)

I had a little trouble getting into Stiltsville - the opening of the book felt a little choppy to me, and I kept wondering if I was missing something. The author writes in Frances'’ voice, and I wasn't’t sure I understood why she chose to emphasize some of the details she did at first. However, I adjusted fairly quickly, and had trouble putting the book down once I did. Daniel covers a lot of narrative ground in a relatively short novel - just over 300 pages - and conveys the dramatic effects of both interpersonal and environmental events on relatively ordinary lives. Much of it works because she'’s using an effective storyteller; Frances is flawed, sometimes frustrating, and authentic, growing more so as she ages over the span of the novel. And while there are hints about how the story will end, the specific direction in which it turned took me by surprise.

Among the details emphasized throughout the story are those that place it very specifically in South Florida; those narrative choices are understandable, and significant. I lived in Florida for ten years (not that far south, though - I attended high school and college in the Tampa Bay area), and Daniel'’s descriptions of tropical foliage and equally tropical humidity, smooth, flat beaches, homes on canals with boats docked behind them, and year-round swimsuit weather and bright clothing evoked it all clearly. (A backyard wedding with the bride in a lime-green sundress and the groom wearing a guayabera is quintessentially Florida.) The sense of place and Frances'’ narrative voice came together and made Stiltsville work for me. I think it would appeal to readers who enjoy realistic, contemporary women’s/domestic fiction, and ’it's a fine debut for Susanna Daniel.