florinda3rs

florinda3rs

Landline
Rainbow Rowell
Fic: Why Fanfiction is Taking Over the World
Unstoppable in Stilettos: A Girl's Guide to Living Tall in a Small World - Lauren Ruotolo Lauren Ruotolo has the rare genetic disorder McCune-Albright syndrome, which has left her with fragile bones and kept her from growing any taller than 4’'2”". However, it'’s had no detrimental effects on her intellect and personality. Her determination not to see herself as “disabled” - or for anyone else to view her in that light either - has brought her into her mid-thirties with a successful career in her chosen field, a prosperous lifestyle, and an eagerness to share what a challenging life has taught her.

Unstoppable in Stilettos is a fast, breezy read, written very conversationally. It's author’s voice comes through strongly. At times, she came on just a bit too strong for me, actually, but she seems pretty self-aware about her bold personality, because it’'s what she’s chosen to develop. Lauren'’s condition was diagnosed when she was a small child, and she was fortunate to have parents who advocated for her and supported her drive not to get special treatment because of it. She came across to me as fiercely positive, but not without a willingness to be introspective, and she has some fun and interesting stories to tell.

I would have liked to know more specifics about Lauren'’s condition itself and how it’s affected her, but perhaps because she has chosen not to dwell on it or let it limit her, she really doesn'’t talk about it much beyond the basics. The “life lessons” she shares struck me as pretty basic too, but that’s probably because I’'m older than what I perceive as the intended audience for them (and I admit to a bias against prescriptive advice books).

Aside from the self-help aspects, I found this a pretty enjoyable read. Lauren Ruotolo tells her story in an engaging and open manner, and I liked getting to know her.