florinda3rs

florinda3rs

Landline
Rainbow Rowell
Fic: Why Fanfiction is Taking Over the World
Gone Girl - Gillian Flynn Gone Girl has been one of those "everyone's talking about it" books since the early summer of 2012. I don't read a lot of genre fiction--which, as a murder mystery, this technically is-but I wanted to read this one before people STOPPED talking about it. That said, it's really not that easy to talk about, between the potential spoiler minefield of any plot discussion--it IS a murder mystery--and the fact that...yeah, everyone's talking about it already.

I haven't read any of Gillian Flynn's fiction before this, but I have seen it praised, and I understand why. In Gone Girl, she smartly blends plot-based suspense with psychological intrigue, and does it through the alternating perspectives of two unreliable--and frequently unlikable--narrators. The novel explores some provocative and unsettling questions about marriage: in general, its particular shape for any two people involved in it, and just how much of our real selves we allow into it.

But I wouldn't advise taking Nick and Amy Dunne as any sort of models for marriage, even of the cautionary variety. They're one of those couples whose individual dysfunctionalities match up well enough to form an entity with its own unique flavor of screwed-up. Flynn's insights into both of their minds had me questioning, shifting allegiances, and anxious to see how it would all play out. And for me, it was the twists and turns of Amy and Nick's thoughts, eben more than the plot in which they're involved, that made Gone Girl riveting reading. It's dark, disturbing, and perfect for this spooky-reading time of year.